Interactive NWS Alert
Radar valid at 500 pm EDT, Sep 2nd 2021
...Forecast flooding changed from Moderate to Major severity and
increased in duration for the following rivers in Pennsylvania...
Lehigh River At Lehighton affecting Carbon County.
Lehigh River At Walnutport affecting Lehigh and Northampton
Lehigh River At Bethlehem affecting Lehigh and Northampton
For the Lehigh River...including Lehighton, Walnutport, Bethlehem...
Major flooding is forecast.
1134 PM EDT Wed Sep 1 2021
...Forecast flooding increased from Moderate to Major severity and
increased in duration until tomorrow afternoon...
The Flood Warning continues for
the Lehigh River At Lehighton.
* Until Thursday afternoon.
* At 11:15 PM EDT Wednesday the stage was 13.5 feet.
* Flood stage is 10.0 feet.
* Moderate flooding is occurring and major flooding is forecast.
* Recent Activity...The maximum river stage in the 24 hours ending
at 11:15 PM EDT Wednesday was 13.5 feet.
* Forecast...The river is expected to rise to a crest of 14.6 feet
just after midnight tonight. It will then fall below flood stage
late tomorrow morning.
* Impact...At 9.0 feet, Open adjacent land in Lehigh Gorge State
* Impact...At 10.0 feet, Flooding begins in Jim Thorpe.
* Impact...At 12.0 feet, River Street begins to flood. Trails in
Lehigh Gorge State Park are flooded.
* Impact...At 14.0 feet, Evacuations occur on River Street.
* Flood History...This crest compares to a previous crest of 13.5
feet on 06/28/2006.
Fld Observed Forecasts (2 am EDT)
Location Stg Stg Day/Time Fri Sat Sun
Lehighton 10.0 13.5 Wed 11 pm ED 6.7 5.5 MSG
LAT...LON 4083 7573 4085 7567 4081 7564 4081 7559
4077 7563 4077 7567
iNWS is an experimental service intended for NWS core partners,
including emergency managers, community leaders and other government